Because I am and I do

Because I am and I do.

14 Jun 2014

Beginnings

As part of sharing my quilting journey I thought it would be nice to take you back to the beginning. 
In 2009 we were transferred to Germany for my husbands job. Long story short before I found a job in Germany I got pregnant. So here I was in a 'strange' country with a bit of time on my hands.

One day while exploring I found a fabric/wool store. I had always wanted to learn how to knit socks, so I walked in and asked if they would teach me. They did and I spent some time in the shop chatting and learning. 

Every Tuesday they have patchwork classes and it didn't take long before I was lured in. I was convinced that I did not have the skillset for the classes, but they offered that if I wanted to make something else I was more then welcome to join. So I picked a pattern from a magazine they had there (no idea why I thought I could do that, but not the classes) and showed up for the next Tuesday class.


The teacher fitted my then stereotypical view of a quilter, a lovely lady in her seventies. She suggested that we change the pattern a little bit and make it into a quillow.
I was very excited and a wee bit overwhelmed so I stuck to the colour scheme of the pattern.

But this blanket gave me enough courage that when we started decorating the nursery I made a new version featuring Miffy (or Nijntje as I know her).


And until this day almost 4 years later the blanket is used every day and our Miss J. is really attached to it. It is always in bed with her and there has never been a road trip where it hasn't accompanied her.



I get all sentimental when I think back about the process and how I've come on as a quilter. These first blankies had just fleece on the back and minimalistic stitch-in-the-ditch quilting with no binding or batting. And although I travel a more adventurous path now, this was the vital first step.

till next time,
Iris




No comments:

Post a Comment