Because I am and I do

Because I am and I do.

9 Jul 2014

Grabbing the basket by the horns

Ever since I linked this post to a Lovely year of finishes by Melissa and Shanna I've been super keen to get started, so I grabbed the baskets by the horns.

One of the comments I received on the above mentioned post was that the baskets would be a bit small, so I should make them bigger. I took the advice at heart and made the first basket 2 inches taller (8"x8"x8"). I also quilted each side separately with a different pattern.




It came together quite swiftly (a little over 2 hours), but I was suprised at the size and decided to make the others as per the original pattern. Since my red scraps seemed to be a little lost in this big basket.


I also made and quilted the sides from one big slab (as per the book) 


The blue one seems to be full, but I can assure you there is still plenty of room left. Also blue is one of the colours I have the most scraps in. So I am very happy with this size.




2 out of 3 are done


 When I moved to the yellow one I started to have so much fun that I very boldly decided to quilt circles on the big slab and an echoing cross on the bottom panel. My first ever circles and by no means are they perfect, but since they got cut up in 4 it doesn't matter too much.



And then the World cup called my name and I watched Germany thrash Brazil, so

I am linking to freshly pieced WIP wednesday.WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced
and let's bee social from sew fresh quilts

till next time,
Iris

12 comments:

  1. Fabulous baskets. I love the idea of making one in each colour of your scraps xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been meaning to tackle some fabric baskets, too. This may just be the inspiration I need -- thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle, they are also part of my Q3 list for Finish along 2014

      Delete
  3. Those baskets are adorable! Love the spiral quilting. This project was the perfect way to practice that design. Lovely work, Iris!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Lorna always a pleasure linking up with you

      Delete
  4. Stopping by from Lets Bee Social ! I really want more time to do these. I really love yours and I have new grandkids and I have buckets for all of them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am beginning to see many other way to use these. I think I might turn one into a bread basket

      Delete
  5. Isn't circular quilting fun? I have experimented with it recently and really like how it looks. Your baskets will be great for scrap storage. Visiting from Let's Bee Social!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha ha yes, I watched the football too, we have many German friends and we could hear them cheering all the way from Australia! Love the different types of quilting you did on these baskets :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow - I could do with about 20 of these for housing my clutter; they are great. (Here from Lets Bee Social)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea for colored scraps in a basket of the same color!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think these color coded scrap baskets are great, Iris! What a good idea : )

    ReplyDelete