Because I am and I do

Because I am and I do.

19 Jul 2014

When in Rome...

It hit me this week: when in Rome.... What do my kids do every day, sometimes multiple times without fail? Colouring/drawing! So if you can't beat them, join them ;)

That was definitely the last push I needed to participate in the celestial star QAL hosted by Diane of from blank pages. This weeks assignment was to colour in your design and I am not too ashamed to admit it: I have never done this as a first step for any of my quilts.

I was surprised that I was struggling a bit with it. I consider myself a visual person and normally visualize my quilts by picking the fabric. It was beyond me why I was struggling to colour, but if nothing else it became obvious that it is  good to be challenged this way as I was clearly out of my comfort zone.


I want to make a 24" colourwheel to decorate my sewing dungeon. 

We did all our colouring under our sun awning, so appologies for the pics
Also I was inspired by so many 'snow flaky' designs showing up on IG under #celestialstardesign and #celestialstarqal that I now want to make a 2x2 Christmas wall hanging in red and greens. 



I have been following Diane's blog for a while and my attention was captures when she asked on IG if there was any interest in a QAL. I find the QAL posts so far very refreshing and love all the background info Diane compiled with regards to use of colour. I also loved her anecdote about a block she thought would look great but turned out not so great after all. I felt very much encouraged to just try. So now I include a few of my abandoned designs. 






















I instantly liked the idea of a colour wheel but still had to try a couple of colourings until I felt it was spot on. 
I have found the fabrics I want to use from my stash for the colour wheel but I am still on the fence with regards to the snowflakes. I think I'll have a shop when we are over in the UK next week.


Till next time,
Iris





5 comments:

  1. Love how you've coloured in your pages. So many different quilts from the same pattern.They will look amazing xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am loving the rainbow color wheel idea! The last picture really shows how the design will work, it sounds fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks really fantastic - I like both main design ideas. So many colors are just right for a sewing room and also the snowflakes idea sounds great to me. You are also having the "classic" Christmas colors red + green, it will look so good - about that I am sure. There are always a lot of reasons for buying fabric - am I right? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your block is going to look amazing!! I love the colors. :) And guess what??? You won the first giveaway from Pink Castle Fabrics! Congrats!! Will you email your address and I will pass it on to them so they can send you some fabric. :)

    ReplyDelete